Minutes of June 22, 2017 Council Meeting
Present: Cathy Heying, Virgil Mathiowetz, Darlene Mattson, Mark Muller, Bob Murphy, Hugh Smeltekop, Paul Sommers, Jeanne Wingenter
We began with a delicious pot luck dinner to welcome new members, Darlene and Hugh, to the Council and to thank Bob and Paul who finish their terms with this meeting.
Council roles affirmed: Chair – Virgil Mathiowetz
Vice-Chair – Cathy Heying
Secretary – Jeanne Wingenter
Treasurer - Karen Klein
Discussed Council Liaisons to committees. May change a bit as further discussions clarify future needs.
Adult Education - Virgil
Children & Family – still to be determined
Communications & Visioning - Hugh
Facilities - Hugh
Finance – Karen
JEAC - Cathy
Location – Mark
Outreach – Darlene
Special Needs - Virgil
Worship - Jeanne
Discussed the need to keep conversation and collaboration between committees to keep moving forward.
Update on Children & Family Coordinator position:
- Over the past years, this position has varied from 6-10 hours per week; challenge is how to
track someone’s work for a timed job.
- Another concern is how to attract more families with children; how to grow the program
- Two persons expressed interest in the position pending more discussion on hours needed and
what the position covers.
- Because Joe Kruse ended in May, Elise is writing curriculum over the summer.
- Discussion on how to collaborate with other faith communities, sacramental programs
- Council approved proposal that we increase time to 10 hours a week year round; include
additional “duties” such as creative endeavors, visioning, dreaming, exploring options.
- Form small personnel committee to advertise position, update job description, interview
Get parents with vested interest involved.
Update on bulletin description of our community
- Discussion of updating description of our community on the front of the bulletin
- In progress with Communication committee
- May include broader community discussion.
Communications committee continuing to discuss possible options for website updates and maintenance.
- Hugh will clarify contract for Vin. Worship Committee responsible for evaluation of
Marilaurice as Worship Coordinator. Suggestion that she do a self-evaluation of first year of
Community Life Coordinator job and any changes to job description. Virgil will follow up with
- Council supports Marilaurice coming to Council meetings more frequently; sharing “big picture” reality and ideas.
History of St. Stephen’s project:
- Bulletin announcements have asked for volunteers
- Organizing core group of coordinators
Lock box for money storage being looked at as some concerns arise. Finance Committee looking at updating procedures.
Joe Kruse wedding – need to resolve some insurance questions. Marilaurice as point person to contact for details about facilities use and responsibilities.
Thursday, July 20
Thursday, August 31
Thursday, Sept. 28
Thursday, Oct. 26